How to understand the difference between the UK and Great Britain
如何理解UK和Great Britain的区别
So where are you from?
你是哪里人?
Scotland. Are you Scottish too?
苏格兰人。你也是苏格兰人?
Well no, I’m English actually, but… you know… it’s all like the same thing, isn’t it?
不是,我实际上是英国人,但是……这好像是一回事,对不对?
Not exactly.
不完全是。
Go on! Isn’t Scotland just like well, a bit of England?
为什么呀!苏格兰不就是英格兰的一部分吗?
No, it is not!
不,它不是!
Sorry, Britain I mean.
抱歉,我的意思是不列颠。
“Britain” is not “England”!
“不列颠”不等于“英格兰”!
Well yeah… I know that, I’m not stupid or anything… but Britain’s like, England, Scotland and Wales, isn’t it?
好吧,是这样……这个我知道,我又不傻……可不列颠不就等于英格兰、苏格兰和威尔士加在一起吗,不对吗?
Not exactly.
不完全是。
Yeah, it is; the UK, the United Kingdom.
怎么不是。UK不就是代表联合王国嘛。
The United Kingdom is “Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland”.
联合王国是指“苏格兰、英格兰、威尔士和北爱尔兰”。
Oh I see, but we’re all like the same nation, aren’t we?
恩,我知道了。但我们属于同一个民族,这回没错了吧?
Not really. Four nations, one state.
不完全对。其实是四个民族,一个国家。
Oh, I get it! So the UK (is) like the same as Great Britain...
噢,我懂了!所以联合王国和大不列颠是一样的……
Great Britain is a geographical term – it’s a big island with Scotland, England, and Wales on it.
大不列颠是一个地理概念——是一个大岛屿,苏格兰、英格兰和威尔士都位于这个岛上。
All right, but we all have the same prime minister, don’t we?
好吧,但我们的首相都一样,对不对?
Yes, and the same head of state.
是的,我们的国家元首也是同一个。
The Queen!
女王!
Exactly.
没错。
And the same government?
政府也一样?
Well, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own local parliaments.
对,不过苏格兰、威尔士和北爱尔兰有自己的地方议会。
Oh. I see.
哦。我明白了。
It’s complicated.
挺复杂的。
Yeah, I can see that.
没错,我也觉得。